Every time someone says to me, “Too bad we weren’t able to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline,” I say, “Not so fast!”
This week, federal judge James Boasberg ruled that the Army Corps of Engineers’ authorization of the pipeline near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation “did not adequately consider the impacts of an oil spill on fishing rights, hunting rights, or environmental justice.” (Check out the story here.)
This is significant. The federal court is expected to rule soon whether oil will continue to flow under the Missouri River in North Dakota. Stay tuned!
Meanwhile in Iowa, landowners and the Iowa Sierra Club press ahead with their own lawsuit, alleging that the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) illegally granted Dakota Access the power of eminent domain. This lawsuit has potentially historic significance beyond the Dakota Access Pipeline.
This case is a really big deal. Yet the mainstream media is mostly ignoring it. It’s up to us to let people know about the case. So, here’s my big ask:
WILL YOU HELP US ORGANIZE A PRESENTATION IN YOUR COMMUNITY?
Working with Climate March and Indigenous Iowa, Bold Iowa has launched the “Stop Eminent Domain Abuse” Roadshow.
Our first community forum will be Saturday, April 21 at the Public Library in Montezuma from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. Here’s the program:
- Overview of the lawsuit (Wally Taylor)
- The pipeline’s impact on farmers and landowners (Steve Hickenbottom and Keith Puntenney)
- Indigenous concerns (Christine Nobiss)
- Other eminent domain conflicts (Invited: folks working against the Mahaska County airport)
- Presentation of “Crossing the Divide” by Ralph King, filmed last spring as the Climate Justice Unity March walked 85 miles from Little Creek Camp to Des Moines. This 15-minute film shows the power of building coalitions and the value of establishing trust and unity across political, cultural and geographic lines.
- Climate Justice Unity March 2018 (Sarah Spain)
- Discussion, Q & A, and next steps
Please join us on Saturday, April 21 in Montezuma. And let me know if you’re interested in working with our team to pull together a roadshow stop in your community. Thanks! Ed