Even as Maryland was calling out the National Guard to deal with havoc in the streets of Baltimore, Iowa was calling out the Guard to deal with havoc in poultry confinements. Perhaps that’s a meaningless coincidence, but it did catch my attention. Regardless, there’s lots to discuss about both these issues on my talk show today (see below).
Before I tell you about that, please set aside some time today or tomorrow to encourage lawmakers to support bills toughening Iowa’s eminent domain law (SSB 1276 and HSB 249). Last week, both bills passed out of sub-committees of the House and Senate Government Oversight Committees.
Call or write members of both the House and Senate Government Oversight Committees. Go to the two links below, then click on the individual lawmaker’s name and you’ll see a phone number and email address:
It’s important to keep your call or email message short and to the point. Share your own personal story and perspective, and tell lawmakers to stand up for farmers and landowners in the path of the proposed Bakken Oil Pipeline. Tell them to vote to protect our environment. Tell them to support the strongest possible eminent domain law and move the bill forward for the full House and Senate to debate.
Ok, on today’s Fallon Forum, we’ll discuss:
– The bird flu that continues to rage through poultry confinements as American taxpayers pick-up much of the tab. Some people are asking the question, “Why is the epidemic not afflicting backyard flocks?”
– After the riots, racial tension, and Maryland Attorney General’s ruling in Baltimore, what does it all mean to us here in Iowa?
– Wind energy is set to take off again with another huge MidAmerican Energy expansion. Good news, mostly. But is the continued dominance in wind production of one utility monopoly shutting the door on entrepreneurs and distributed generation?
– Caucus Buzz: With Bernie Sanders in the race for President, maybe Democrats have the beginnings of the kind of spirited nomination Republicans are seeing.
– What does it mean for the broader chain restaurant industry now that Chipotle and Tyson are responding to consumer demand and phasing out GMOs and antibiotics in meat?
Listen to the Fallon Forum live Mondays from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on KDLF 1260 AM (Des Moines) and online. Podcasts available after the show. Your input is welcome; simply call-in at (515) 528-8122. The program re-broadcasts Wednesdays on KHOI 89.1 FM (Ames) at 4:00 p.m. and on KPVL 89.1 FM (Postville) at 7:00 p.m.
Thanks! – Ed Fallon