Hi Folks —
Before I tell you about the proposed sales tax hike in Polk County, please check out conversations with my excellent guests from this week’s Fallon Forum. Bleeding Heartland’s Laurie Belin and I discuss:
(1) Proposed changes to the Iowa Caucuses: Are they good, bad, or meh?
(2) Senator Grassley’s “women, booze and movies” comment, and whether Grassley is now competing with Rep. Steve King and Pres. Trump for the honor of “Politician Most Likely to Embarass America.”
(1) Trump’s toppling of national monuments: Will the courts prevail against him?
(2) Will Pence or Trump be the Republican nominee in 2020? Ed and Laurie disagree.
On this week’s program I also discuss the California wildfires with two women on the front lines of those fires: Mary Lensing and Andrea de Lange. Check out the podcast of our conversation at www.fallonforum.com/listen.
Ok, so let’s talk briefly about the proposed sales tax hike in Polk County. I’m agin’ it, but have no idea what kind of opposition exists out there.
So, today I created this Facebook page to get the conversation rolling. Who else in Polk County is against the proposed sales tax hike? If there’s enough of us, let’s organize to defeat it.
My reasons to oppose it are three:
1. We are already over taxed.
2. The sales tax is regressive and hits the poor the hardest.
3. Most local governments have the money to do what we need them to do, they just need to better manage it.
The powers that be want this new tax in a big way. They’re mobilizing to push it through with the least amount of public opposition. In fact, this election is scheduled on a date designed to minimize voter turnout, on March 6, 2018. Grr.
Who else is in to vote down this bad idea?